The Florida Keys Back Country is one of the premier wildlife preserves in North America. The uninhabited islands of the Florida Bay and the Gulf of Mexico are a haven for wildlife including nesting sea turtles, bald eagles and many different types of aquatic birds. Eco-tours show guests the fascinating environment of the Keys. Expect to see stingrays, small sharks, and several varieties of fish.
Glassbottom Boat Tours - Key West glass bottom boat trips show you the reef through glass windows. If you want to see the fish from above and below the water, a glass bottom boat trip that includes snorkeling is also available.
Pride of Key West Glassbottom Boat
- 110 passenger capacity
- 65-foot boat with air-conditioning and large viewing windows below deck
- Snack bar, sundeck and two restrooms
12:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sunset Trip - time varies
Day Trips: $40 adult / $20 child
Sunset Trip: $45 adult / $22.50 child
Glass Reef Glassbottom Boat plus snorkeling
- Visits a dolphin playground and two snorkeling locations
- Small groups - 6 passenger limit (also, private trips are available)
- Includes quality snorkel gear, beverages, and snack
Winter: 10:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m., and sunset (time varies)
Summer: 9:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and sunset (time varies)
$90 per person
Dolphin Encounters - Schools of wild dolphins inhabit the waters surrounding Key West, and several small companies are willing to take you out in search of these creatures in their natural habitat. Enjoy an unforgettable meeting with dolphins, then your guide will take you to some wonderful backcountry snorkeling spots. Light snacks and beverages, as well as all your gear, are included in these trips, which are priced at around $85 per person.
Kayaking tours - The barrier reef of the Keys causes the water near the islands to stay calm and clear, so paddlers can enjoy a relaxing pace as they explore and take in the beauty of the environment. Guided tours are transported to the backcountry aboard a comfortable skiff for a morning or afternoon eco-tour in a group of no more than five people.
Sail, Kayak & Snorkel Trips (arranged through Danger Charters):
1/2 day trip:
- Visits backcountry mangrove islands
- Includes snacks, beverages and gear
- $75 adults / $55 kids under 12
- Winter: 9:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m.
- Summer: 9:30 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
- Visits reef and backcountry island, and sometimes a sandbar
- Includes lunch, snacks, beverages and gear
- $100 adult / $75 kids under 12
- Winter: 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Summer: 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Backcountry Sail, Snorkel and Kayak Adventures - These trips begin with a trip on a sailboat and take you deep into the tranquil, natural habitat of Key West's backcountry. These trips depart twice a day and are out for five to six hours with food, beverages, and gear included for around $70 to $85 per person.